Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Decluttering

Got a sudden urge to throw things out on Sunday. Went through my drawers and cupboards and threw out a few bagfuls of useless things that I have accumulated over the years. Things that seemed very precious once upon a time are now just junk that cluttered up my room.

I can't believe I have been keeping so much junk all these years. Old school newsletters (even primary school ones), notes from people whom you haven't seen for a thousand years, small momentos, useless gifts, even a love letter (gasps!) from a bastard boyfriend.......etc etc......so many things that even I am surprised to find myself keeping. These are baggages that we have.

Many a times, we keep things because we can't bear to throw them away, because we think that one day we might need them, or because we think it has sentimental value. But when you actually throw them again, you won't even realise that it's gone! So why do we keep cluttering up our lives with useless things? Or even useless memories?

Maybe we need to learn to let go. Let go to things that do not mean anything to you, likewise the people. I still keep the things associated to the people I care for, who care for me. Which is still a lot! So my mission for this weekend is to throw out more stuff. It really feels very therapeutic. Everyone should do that.

No comments: