Sunday, May 27, 2007

En Japanese Dining Bar @ UE Square

Had dinner with Andrew 2 Fridays ago at En Japanese Dining Bar along River Valley Road, at the Mohammed Sultan area. Mohammed Sultan really looked different now. So dead. But this En place is still surviving, and it was very crowded when we went. This is supposed to be an Okinawan place -what's the difference I don't know.

We ordered the garlic rice which was highly recommended by Andrew and some pork-tofu-bittergourd salad thing and pork belly. The pork in the salad was like luncheon meat less salty. But the whole thing was not bad. The pork belly was good, though I have eaten more tender one before. The garlic rice was nice, but it felt like something I could fry myself (or not). When we were ordering, the waitress told us the rice could serve up to 4 person, but wasn't so - it was only about half of my usual rice portion. But to be fair, I only tried these few dishes and I didn't say they were not nice. I mean the place must be good for it to survive so long and the fact so many Japanese like to come here must mean something.

Well, I could come back again. And I might try the other Japanese restaurants along the Robertson Quay.

Oh yes, some entertainment news. Glenn Ong and Jamie Yeo were there too. They were sitting at the bar so their backs were facing us. Halfway through the dinner I was telling Andrew I think the two looked like Glenn and Jamie, cos I saw Jamie's side view and the guy had the same silly glasses that Glenn has and looked untidy. Andew didn't believe me although he agreed with the Glenn similarities. We had a bet and loser got to buy drinks. He asked the waitress and I was right. Well, Glenn really looked disgusting.

Anyway, we had a drink next door at Vino Vino because this 2-guy band was playing and Andrew knew one of them. It was a torture listening to them. Their vocals cannot make it, their music had no depth (both were playing rthym), sound system sucked. Let's see how long the place can last.

No comments: