Sunday, May 27, 2007

Marutama Ramen @ Central

Went for lunch with Jeffrey at Central (again...I know). This time I wanted to try the Marutama Ramen - supposedly one of the best around.


I went there expecting to find the usual chasyu ramen or tonkotsu ramen so when I saw the menu and saw only 4 kinds of ramen, I was a bit surprised. Wanted to try the ebi ramen but it was sold out. Ended up trying the aka ramen which with a nut base.


The ramen actually looked quite interesting. The toppings included lots of coriander, mui chay-looking veg, preserved cabbage-looking stuff and even a slice of lemon. It tasted different from the usual ramen we have. The noodle is a bit thinner than the normal ones and it tasted more like mee sua than ramen. Didn't really have the al dente-ness of the normal ramen.


I'm still quite undecided on whether I like the ramen. Although many people raved over it, I wasn't wowed over when I actually tried it. Maybe I should give it another chance. Try the chicken ramen the next time perhaps. But the ramen is not exactly cheap. The bowl I had cost $15 (and it didn't even have the egg!). At this price I can eat the x2 version of Nanten's tonkotsu ramen, and still have change! But I read somewhere that at Marutama, they have this thing called "kaedama" which means you could ask for a refill of the ramen at $1, provided you still have some of the soup left. Well....I dunno.....I guess next time I could try....since like their portion not very big.....so like not very filling.....hee

No comments: