Went there for lunch yesterday afternoon. According to Chubby Hubby it's a "fine food in a not so fine place", so I was prepared for what the place turned out to be. It's actually a really tiny stall hidden among all the other coffee shops and food stalls along the outside of Fortune Centre along Middle Road. So when you sit alfresco, Middle Road is just beside you.
The set lunches were quite reasonably priced, from $10.80 to $12.80, which included a soup, drink and pasta.
We had the salmon pasta and shrimp and clams pasta. Both were tasty and the shrimp and clams pasta portion was quite big. Liked the cream of corn. They also put the corn bits into the soup, so the soup was creamy, sweet and chewy. The soup wasn't the usual starchy type, so you don't feel gelate after finishing it. We wanted to order the ala carte menu to share, but unfortunately they don't serve ala carte for lunch. But not to worry, there is always a solution - we went back for dinner.
We wanted to order the lamb and duck. But was told that the duck was sold out, and it was only 8pm. So we settle for the lamb and the cod fish.
The cod fish came first. They were quite generous with the serving. It was 2 huge pieces of cod fish. I like the crispy skin. The downside about the place is that it's basically a one man show in the kitchen so the food comes out quite slowly. By the time we finished the cod, my lamb hadn't come.
And when the lamb finally came, it looked good and big. Nice presentation. But the lamb was quite disappointing. The marinate wasn't enough. The inside of the lamb had not much taste. And the outside was a bit sweet for my liking because of the jelly thing. Usually other places do it with mint jelly but this wasn't mint jelly. Think it was just some sweet jelly. And both dishes, the food didn't come out hot; they were just warm.
We also shared a braukwerst cream pasta. I must say all their pasta portions were pretty big. It was not bad. Quite generous with the braukwerst. I still prefer the shrimp pasta in the afternoon.
All these, with drinks, added up to less than $50. I guess you can say it's quite reasonable. But I don't think I will go back for dinner again. The dinner menu is quite limited and not very fantastic. Plus, the environment was a turn off. Our dinner experience was plagued with irritating smokers, a crying and screaming baby, glass bottles being thrown into the bin with a loud "cling", Malaysian Ah Bengs walking up and down, loud and noisy trishaws riding up and down Middle Road. There is only so many irritating things I can endure for a cheap dinner. I won't mind going back for lunch though.
No comments:
Post a Comment