Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ju Shin Jung Korean Restaurant

I was in a Korean mood a few weeks (or months) back, so I consulted my bible aka makansutra, and decided to try out Ju Shin Jung Korean BBQ Restaurant at West Coast Highway.

It looked like an authentic Korean restaurant (or at least I think it's authentic). We ordered the beef and pork chop and spicy beef soup with glass noodle. As with normal Korean meal, this came with lots of side dishes. And we both looked in shock as more and more side dishes started appearing on my table until there seemed to have no more splace for them.


The waitress did the bbq-ing for us. Felt a bit weird at the start, she was there bbq-ing while we were eating our food. I love wrapping the bbq beef in the lettuce and eating them, like what they always do in all the Korean dramas. It was quite fun. The bbq was not bad. I like the pork. But the spicy beef soup was quite a disappointment. It was quite tasteless and not spicy enough. The side dishes were just too much to finish for 2 persons. After the meal, we both felt like bursting. There is this thing about Korean food that I find quite hard to get used to - some food that we are used to them being savory are actually sweet in Korean food. This was the case for some of the side dishes, so I didn't really enjoy them.

They also served this dessert after the meal. It was some ginger soup with ginko nut or something. I didn't like it. It had a very strong taste. Even after I left the place I could still smell it when I burped. Disgusting. Ok maybe this is a bit too much details, but I'm just trying to make my point.

Well, I haven't tried enough Korean food to judge whether this place is good. But I guess it is authentic, given the writeups about it. At least I know the ginger soup thing is authentic because I had it in one of the restaurants in Korea too. Exactly the same taste.

No comments: